Really busy with admin work for a local art society at the moment, but somehow I’m finding that having to struggle to make time to do my own work inspires creativity. I was struck by a rather tatty looking heron, stood and watched it for a while, but was puzzled as to how I could portray its noble tattiness, until I hit on the idea of collaging on the spiky feathers using raffia. This took a while to get right, but I’m really pleased with the result – previously I’ve tried to use a variety of different brushes but without ever getting quite the effect I was looking for.
I was so excited by my success I decided to have a go at a curlew as a companion piece. Here the wing is collaged with some fine net to give extra texture, as well as the tail feathers which are raffia again.