I had a really peaceful and productive afternoon in the studio today. At the weekend we visited the South Stack on Anglesea where I sketched the guillemots, despite the massively strong winds that vibrated the binoculars and randomly turned over the pages in my sketchbook. So when I came to paint, I wanted to get a looser sort of image to suit this wild habitat. I used a pallet life and thick oils onto gesso’d linen, and finished off with thick pallet knived on gesso – never done that before. I recently bought some really good quality gesso which I am trying to incorporate more into the finished painting as I love its texture and soft colours – it remains to be seen if it looks as good when it dries!
Continuing in this spirit of experimentalisation, I then put thick gesso onto board and tried to paint into it with oils and it was a disaster. You can’t win them all.
Even more excitingly, had the proof copy of my new book today. It looks fab!!! Can’t wait to get the finished copies!